04 May 2012

Cake and Ice Cream

So a dear  friend is leaving town for about six months, a prefect excuse to have us all make up home made ice cream with the glut of milk and eggs I have on hand these days.  All the results were eaten too fast to make pictures, but what was on hand was definitely worth documenting.  I have a bad knack of not measuring everything and sort of using a few recipes as a guideline.  But if you follow the below you will have something very similar to what I did, its the best guess I can make at what happened:

Orange Blossom Honey and Cardamom Goat Milk Ice Cream
  3.5c lamancha goat*1.5 c. whipping cream,  8 egg yolks, 1/2c orange blossom honey, 3 T agave, pinch salt, 1 T fresh ground cardamom, 1 t whole ground vanilla bean, 1/4 t ground ginger.
Make a custard, chill, and freeze it how you do with your machine.  At the end, put in a glob more of the honey and about 3/4 cup chopped crispy walnuts (soaked overnight in salt water and dehydrated)
So what do you do with 8 egg whites? Here's what, make a 
Coconut Snow Cake, here is what I did:

Melt 3/4 cup coconut oil and mix in 1/2c sugar, pinch salt, 3/4 c coconut flour, 1 t coconut extract.
Whip 8 egg whites, gently mix in the above and pour into a spring form pan that is buttered then dusted with high quality cocoa powder. Top with flake coconut, bake at 350 for about an hour, keeping foil on top for the first 50 minutes so the coconut does not over burn.
 They worked beautiful together, just like all the lovely people who were in my home tonight. 
Thank you!
 

No comments: