
The Cayuga duck. Aren't they beautiful? They are one of the few duck breeds that has originated in the United States, plus they are very hardy, have a nice calm temperament and lay coal black to sky blue eggs depending on the time of year. I am a total sucker for colored eggs, so that really sealed the deal. They aren't the most prolific layers, but we get all the eggs we can handle from Phil, so that's not that big of a deal to me, plus they are good eating too and might get broody; two things you never get with the laying breeds.
I like this patch o land, being able to preserve old species that are at risk o
I'll try to get pictures up of the other sheep soon. They all have such amazing personalities. Here's a little story about storm Storm, since you are now friends. One day he got it into his head that he should be able to go where he pleases and get grain when he wants , and decided to jump, yes, jump up three feet onto the side of the back porch, so he could stand by the door when we went outside. He is now in an area away from the house!
Well, I got to go plan a duck house.
3 comments:
Oh how exciting! Definitely keep us up to date on your duck developments. :P
HOORAY!!! Ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, ducks, DUCKS!!!!!
and they are beautiful. :) So fun.
Now this is in my head: Shaelee got ducks, Shaelee got ducks, I wantaduck, I wantaduck, Shaelee got ducks, Shaelee got ducks, hoooooooraaaaay!!! (in a sing-song rhythm)
Post a Comment