16 October 2009

Penguins in the hall

So, the other day I was in the bathroom talking to Aeden and Basil walks by and whispers: Be quiet, animals sleeping
I ask him what animal, he points down the hall. I ask him to show me, he walks over, scoops his hand to the ground and carefully carries a pocket of air over to me.
Baby animal. What kind of animal? Dada panguin (he moves one hand a little) baby penguin (he moves the other hand).

Ohh (I whisper back) we better be quite.
He hands them to me, I pet them, he smiles, then I hand them back and he goes back and puts them safely back in bed in the corner of the hall.

I love his little imagination. Every day he seems to surprise me with something fun.

This past few weeks have been particularly pleasant with him. Early spring we really bonded and seemed to adjust to having the baby in our lives, lots of bike rides and garden time together; then we had a string of visitors for a few months and I think the constantly going out and change kinda stressed him out- he got more hyper and didn't listen as well. It is probably also a function of the long days in summer (doesn't get dark until after 10, now it gets dark at 7). Now that fall is coming and thing have slowed down, it seems like my peaceful little man is back. He still has an insane amount of creative energy, but he is being gentle and pretty mellow again, happily playing make believe with himself or some game he made up where he hides from the baby or runs around with Meemer being a puppy. We needed the break, thank the Lord for seasons!

1 comment:

amy said...

Shaelee,
You are amazing!I have thought about you so many times, but I guess I kind of thought you forgot me! We are over in the Tri-Cities, not nearly as wonderful and beautiful as Port Angeles, but this is where we have ended up. We have like a million kids, are church planting with the Vineyard, and just being super. It is so good to hear from you. I will email you later (we are in the midst of sick days and it is blah), but I just wanted to stop in and say hello. Yay!