So, since class got out lat June I have been working as a Research Assistant out in the Sol Duc forest out west. Official plant specialist.
We are gathering base line data for a study that will try to quantify the change in diversity/structure in plant life and soil after a stand is treated. The areas differ from being left alone, cleared in 26' or 36' Gaps, or thined in patches. What they are trying to do is speed a late sucession forest, largly in stem exclution, to arrive at a more complex "Old Growth" like state much sooner than it would if left to its own devices.
Anyway, I get to bring Basil with me. We out out in the middle of nowhere with just a compass and the occasional flagging to guide us to the plots. Its way fun and I am getting paid!
I took some picture last week, I will try to get them up soon- Basil is an awesome field assistant! One day we had rain almost the whole time and he was even able to take a nap! Salmon Berry in the face, mosquito madness, he didn't care, we were on an adventure.
Rock on researchers of the world. Rock on.
No comments:
Post a Comment